Monday, November 30, 2015

Interview with Sweden's Draugul done by Patrick on 11-30-15

Metal  Regards
Here  is  a  new   interview  with  the  Swedish folk,Pagan  black  metal   band   Draugul. Draugul   has  recently  released the  third  cd   "Chronicles Untold"  through   Pesttanz  Klangschmiede.Hope  you  all  enjoy  the   interview  and  keep  watching  the  web-zine  for  updates  coming.
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com









Interview  with   Vargblod    vocals  and  all  instruments  for   Draugul   done  by    Patrick






1.Hello   Vargblod! When  did you  first  start  listening  to   music? Who  were  some  of the  first  bands  and  artists  you   listened  to? Who  are  some   of your   current  favorite  artists and  bands?


Hello and thanks first and foremost for this interview opportunity! I was introducted to Metal quite early actually, by my father and uncle. By the age of six and seven I was already listening to Black Sabbath, Ozzy, and some Iron Maiden!






2.When  did you  become  interested  in  playing  and  writing  music?


Like every Metal fan.. it is always a dream to have your own band! I started my first band when I was 13 years old… we used to play some kind of death metal… in my mothers living room haha!



3.What   were  the   first  instruments  you  learned  to  play?  Are  you  self  taught or  did you  take  lessons  when  first  beginning?


My dad introduced me to the six stringer when I was 7, and taught  me some chords and stuff.. then I continued improving on my own. I never went to lessons or anything.. I discovered everything on my own. Later I started to be interested in other instruments too.. so I decided to start learning them as well!






4.Are  there   any  instruments you   have  not   learned to  play  that you  would  like to  learn  someday?


I always wanted to learn the Bagpipe… I have started actually but I never had time to actually focus on it as well as I wish!






5.Besides  the  instruments  you   also  handle  the  vocals  for   Draugul   when  did you  start  singing? Do  you  do  anything  special  to  keep  your  voice  healthy?


Well I was always involved in vocal parts in my previous bands.. so it grew with me as well I suppose!
Keeping my voice healthy… hehe.. no idea actually… 





6.Who  are  some  of your  influences and  favorite  vocalists?



Main influences for Draugul are Bathory and Burzum. As vocalists are concerned.. I get the muse from Vintersorg (although he is far better than me hehe), Fernando Ribeiro from Moonspell, Dio of course has top be one of my favourite vocalists ever! A true metal vocalist as it should be!




7. Vargblod    I  believe  you  lived   in   Malta  first  what  was  the  scene  like  in   Malta?  Who  were  some  of your  favorite  bands  from  Malta?


Yes originally I am from Malta. I moved to Sweden almost 2 years ago now. The scene in Malta is pretty healthy and I must say there are a lot of good bands from the island! Some great bands from there are Martyrium (my previous band when I was still in Malta), Forsaken, Beheaded and Victims of Creation, to mention a few!





8.When  did you  get  the   idea  to  move  to  Sweden? What  is your   opinion  of  Sweden's  metal  scene?  Favorite  bands and  artists? 
I always wanted to live close to nature, and in Malta it is quite impossible! Here I found everything I was looking for! Of course the metal scene in Sweden is HUGE! And a lot of my favourite bands are in fact Swedish too!
For example: Bathory, Dissection, Dark Funeral, Thyrfing, Necrophobic, Vintersorg, Marduk, etc, etc, etc…..





9. Draugul   has  recently released  their  third  masterpiece "Chronicles Untold"  through  "Pesttanz  Klangschmiede  how  did  you  come  in  contact  with this  label?


Actually it was the label who contacted me. They found some songs I had uploaded on youtube and apparently found my material interesting enough! I was of course happy to accept their deal and I thank Martin at Pesttanz for believing in me and giving me a chance!



10.How  long  did  it  take you  to  write  and  record  the  music for  this  release?


At most it took a whole year I guess….




11.This   is    Draugul's  third  cd to  date   how  do you  feel  the  music  has  changed over  the  last  few  years?


Yes the style kinda changed throughout the years… that is inevitable I presume…one always seeks to evolve and learn new things. Even the fact I moved to Sweden affected my songwriting I think!





12.What  are  some  topics/subjects  you  like to  write  and  sing  about?


Draugul always revolved around Scandinavian History, Folklore and Mythology, and of course Tolkien!




13.Vargblod   have  you  ever  thought  of  making  any  video's  for  any  Draugul  songs?  If  yes  which  songs  would  you  like to make?


  I actually started making one back in Malta for the song “Conquest of Jorvik”, then opportunity came for me to come and live here in Sweden when I found a job here and had to stop filming halfway through unfortunately.
I plan to make a professional one in the future here in Sweden though too…apart from the amateur ones I make myself for fun


14.Vargblod  are  you   currently   working  with  any  other  bands or  solo  projects?


In fact yes.. I am also the frontman and guitarist of Black Metal band KHAOSPATH. We have one album out – Synagoga Obscura and is also labelled with Pesttanz Klangschmiede. Currently we are doing some gigs and writing the new material for the second album.




15.Thank  you    Vargblod    for   taking  the  time  to  fill  out this   interview   do you   have   any  final  words  for  the   readers?


Thanks again for the opportunity to express my thoughts with you and thanks to everyone who supported Draugul since the birth of the band! Hail Metal!

                                                              Label   Contact
                                 https://www.facebook.com/Pesttanz-Klangschmiede
                                                     http://www.pesttan
                                                                 Band   Contact 
                                                   https://www.facebook.com/draugul/?fref=ts